Saturday, April 18, 2009

Theory of Knowledge

At the end of the week I found myself reacquainted with my mounting anger toward the public school system. Not only are most of the programs inadequate, but the real knowledge that young people need for successful lives is utterly lacking from the contemporary curriculum. Sure, high schoolers today are offered a lot of important classes. I never took a class on sustainability when I was in high school, but I know some people who do now. Though from what I've heard, it's more greenwashing than practical. 

What is lacking is real knowledge. Not math, science, and art -- as such, these are important but might lack tangible and positive connections to the lives of adolescents. Who cares about logorithms, shouldn't kids learn how to file taxes? Or how a mortgage works? 

If the public school system is paid for and organized by the government, shouldn't the government take care to ensure that all it's young, soon-to-be-adult citizens should be totally prepared to understand issues like:
-the economy
-environmental degradation
-tolerance of other people's beliefs/sexual preferences
-sex and relationships
-the law and human rights
-miscommunication and how to recognize it

Not to mention things I wish someone had told me, or at least given me a handbook on -- like how to deal with insurance companies, how to keep your internet information safe, or just basic nutrition. Taking a look at the people I knew living in the dorms first year, I remember Risque looking a bit malnourished by the end of it because of his gradual reluctance to eat at the cafeteria. It didn't look like he considered other options. 

You can't buy it or trade, but you can collect it and save. Ignorance breeds futility, and discipline in learning is the path to success. Success is such an ambiguous term! I measure success in happiness and proactive achievements, which is a great way to stay poor. For some though, success literally translates as  "money"... which is why the school system pushes people into abstract, uninteresting jobs -- the thought of money motivates people to succeed: If you study this boring shit really hard, you'll get a scholarship! And then, after four years running the degree-mill, you'll magically score a high-paying salary where you won't have to wear a nametag (just a payroll ID number, thanks). 

This way, generation after generation of publicly-schooled products will renew the cogs that drive this oil-fueled machine of society, without a single thought that they don't belong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment